Engine 1’s first apparatus was a 1928 Seagrave Suburbanite pumper. It was purchased new and served until 1955. It is currently in the hands of a collector, although we have lost track of its location. (If you know where Engine 1 is, please email the webmaster. It may be currently lettered for Lynnfield.)
In 1955, Engine 1 took delivery of a Ford Big Job/Wood Engineering 600 gpm pumper. Wood Engineering was a local builder in Topsfield, MA. The ’55 Ford served Engine 1 until 1980, when it was sold to the Civil Defense and re-designated Engine 7. The ’55 continued to serve as Engine 7 until 1989 when Engine 7 was disbanded. It was disposed of to a collector.
The third Engine 1, seen here and above, was a 1979 Ford F800/Edward G. Moody & Sons. It carried a 1000 GPM pump and 500 gallons of water. This one served until 2000. At that time it was badly in need of a pump rebuild and the department decided not to pour money into a gasoline-powered, manual-transmissioned, two-man cabbed apparatus. Engine 1 v3.0 was sold and replaced with a used rig of more modern design.
Engine 1’s fourth rig was purchased used in 2000. It was a 1985 Ford C8000/E-One 1000/500 which formerly served in Sudbury, MA. v4.0 was admired for its small size and ability to carry a full crew almost anywhere. It was condemned and removed from service in 2005 with dangerous amounts of rust on the frame.
Engine 1’s fifth apparatus was a 1984 Hahn HCP-12 on loan from the Georgetown FD for almost two years. It was retired in June 2007 due to ongoing maintenance issues.
Engine 1’s current E-One Typhoon entered service in July 2009. It carries the dedication ‘Charter Hose Co. #1’ in memory of the founding members of the RVFPA.