Forestry 1 entered service with the Rowley Fire Department in 1965, operating a military surplus 1953 Dodge M-37. It was originally equipped with a 500 GPM front mounted PTO pump and a 500 gallon steel water tank.
In the mid-1980s, Forestry 1 was extensively refurbished by department volunteers. The large pump and tank were replaced with more appropriately sized ones, the engine was replaced with a new-in-crate Chrysler (ironically from 1965,) and the electrical system was converted from the military 24 volt system to a more common 12 volts. It was retired in August of 2013 after 48 years of faithful service to the town.